Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Caramel-Apple Cupcakes- *Award Winning!*

Every October, my town hosts this huge farm show and as part of it, there is a baking contest. I entered these caramel-apple inspired cupcakes this year, and they won first prize in the cupcake category!

The cupcake itself is a spiced apple cake with chunks of fresh diced apple (yum!!) and lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. They're frosted with a caramel buttercream, and then garnished with more caramel. In the first batch I made, I attempted to stuff them with a caramel filling, but that idea crashed and burned. The caramel seemed like the right liquidy consistency, but after about an hour the centers of my cupcakes solidified, turning out somewhat like those hard caramel candies. This was quite disappointing, but a few batches of caramel later, I finally got the consistency down. The key is: follow the caramel recipe exactly.

In the end, the cupcakes were very time-consuming but absolutely delicious. Every time I opened the container they were kept in, the cinnamon smell just wafted out and made everyone's mouth water. If you are considering doing anything with caramel, I recommend allowing yourself a good few hours to perfect it, but in the end it will be so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment